Make Your Resolutions “Green Light” Goals
Whether you want to lose weight (again), end a relationship (find a keeper this time!) or get out of debt (more gelt with less guilt?) — your first step is identifying a goal that makes you want to GO towards something.
What? Isn’t that obvious?
Not really. Think about the differences in these goals:
Lose 15 lbs. vs. Feel confident and attractive on the beach next summer
Get out of debt vs. Gain enough financial freedom to buy an apartment or house
Stop working in a dead-end job vs. Find a job that fulfills my professional passions
See the difference? Green Light Goals give you a clearer picture of where you want to go by creating a compelling, appealing positive vision of a future state.
It works — and I’m not alone in prescribing this. In his book, “Change or Die: The Three Keys to Change at Work and in Life”, Alan Deutschman shares decades of scientific evidence that shows that positively reframing life’s challenges can put us in the driver’s seat on a faster track towards goal achievement.
So here’s some coaching homework:
- Write down 3 goals you have for the New Year
- Re-write them so that they make you say “Yes! I want to do that!” That’s how you know you have a Green Light Goal
- Brainstorm the Red Light actions — or inactions — you associate with the Green Light goals (such as “Stop drinking at happy hour” as part of “Feel more attractive at the beach”)
- Replace those Red Lights actions with new Green Lights (like “Have a wine spritzer or seltzer” instead of “Stop drinking”)
- Post those Green Light goals and actions someplace where you can see them every day. As Confucius said, “The palest ink is better than the sharpest memory.”
If you need support, try this with a friend, family member, therapist or coach.
And post it here!
A new relationship. A job transition. A healthier habit. No matter what you want to achieve, you need specific and engaging goals, identification of your natural strengths, anticipation of potential roadblocks, and a clear strategy to get you farther faster. My Jewish Coach.com gives you an interactive, interpersonal, action-oriented process to take your personal and professional life to the next level.
Why a Jewish coach?